Saturday, April 11, 2015

Living in the Moment

My Pastor made a statement one day that really bothered me. I do not remember the exact words but the end message I received was, if you are not living in the moment, you are wasting that moment.  In other words if you are constantly living in the past, thinking about what he or she did or said or focused on the things that happened to you, you will never be able to enjoy the present moment.

The statement upset me because I felt it was almost a personal attack.  Of course, now I know it wasn't, but at the time I was hurting. I was still reeling from past hurts, wounds, and situations. When I finally got outside of myself and gave up on the self pity, I saw the truth for what it was.  It is impossible to truly enjoy and appreciate the present if you are holding on to old hurts.

I still have moments when things from the past creep into my thoughts but I am much more aware of when this happens and make the choice not to dwell on it.  Hearing those words was not easy. Coming to terms with the past and forgiving myself and others was painful and sometimes difficult.  Leaving the past in the past was not easy but all of it was necessary.

Some days did hurt more than others but it was a hurt on the way to healing and I am so thankful for that healing. I am also thankful for the wisdom of my Pastor who said what needed to be said to help people like me find their way out of the darkness of unforgiveness and fear and truly live and love in the moment.

No comments: